Saturday 1 August 2020

East Coast Birding.

A hot day was the weather forecast so I decided to go to the coast early. It was just 8am when I arrived at the car park at Kilnsea Wetlands. A quick check with RBA informed me that a pectoral sandpiper had flown off towards the Humber.
The hide was empty when I arrived and having managed to open the windows without making too much noise, I could see lots of dunlin.
Lots of greylag geese, 2 greenshank, lots of redshanks, grey heron, little egret, mute swans, great white egret.
A short walk to Beacon Ponds.
I could see lots of little terns, several sandwich terns, oystercatchers and a redshank.
Can scrape hide was my next stop. As usual swallows are using the hide as a nesting place, so I did not stay long.
You can see a swallow sat on a post waiting to come in and feed its young. I saw a sedge warbler, reed warbler, young pied wagtail and a moorhen on my short visit.
I then went to the seawatch hide.
I spent an hour in the hide. As you may be able to see from the picture there was a bit of mist on the horizon. Not many birds flying past the hide. Gannets going back and forward, little and sandwich terns. Curlews, dunlins and oystercatchers and 7 common scoters. A tick at last, number 170 for the year.
I decided to return to Kilnsea Wetlands, but the car park was full so I drove on. Hornsea Mere was my next stop. The car park was full as it was now past noon and people were out enjoying the sun. No sign of a little gull, these common terns were sitting on one of the jetties.
I decided to go to Tophill Low as my last stop.


The photographers hide was full so I went to the nearest hide.
4 marsh harriers were sitting in an elderberry bush, until a buzzard appeared and one bird took off to chase the buzzard away. A couple of green sandpipers, 4 black tailed godwits and lots of lapwings.
I was hoping for more than the one tick, but it was still a pleasant day.



No comments:

Post a Comment