Monday 27 February 2023

Wheldrake Ings

 



Sunshine and showers on my visit to the Ings today. The sound of skylarks singing and curlews bubbling call was a pleasant start to my visit. Not a lot of bird life along the footpath as I walked to the Tower Hide.

Lots of lapwings and golden plovers at the waters edge along with a few ruff. On the water were lots of wigeon, teal and pintail. The lapwings were quite restless and kept flying about.

I then walked to the Pool Hide and on the way saw the first celandines of the year.

 Mute swans, teal, wigeon, tufted ducks and goldeneye.

A male goldeneye was close to the hide.


Just after I left the Pool hide I saw this willow tit, which had been ringed.




From the Swantail hide I was able to watch 2 peregrines and 2 marsh harriers hunting, resulting in large numbers of ducks and waders taking to the air.


A redhead smew was at the far end of the water in front of the hide.


A pleasant morning before the rain started.

No comments:

Post a Comment