Monday 11 October 2021

St. Aidans and Fairburn Ings

 

I was unable to go and see the long-toed stint on Saturday morning. I had a look at twitter and saw the size of the crowd and decided not to go. Having spent many hours at Blacktoft when masses of birders turned up to see the white tailed lapwing, I have gone off crowds of people. I was hoping that the bird would stay a while and so once it had been reported on RBA this morning I set off. No cars parked on the road verge outside the reserve was a good sign, and several spaces in the car park was another good sign, So off I set on the long walk to Astley Lake. Plenty of birders returning to car park some of whom saying "its still there".

This kestrel was hunting a short distance from the path.



Not too many people. I managed to find a reasonable spot where I could see over the top of the reeds.

The bird was moving about a lot and managed to get this shot when it walked to the right hand end of the island.


If the bird stays a day or two longer I might try again to see if I can get a better view. On my way back to the car I noticed some of the work that the team has done.



perhaps these will keep people away from the black necked grebes. Great crested grebes were still in family groups.


This grey heron was standing on a fence, but due to the height of the reeds it was difficult to get a clear shot.


I called in at Fairburn on my way home.


The hide is still closed. The supports are not if a safe state so the future of the hide is in doubt. It will be a shame if it is not replaced as I feel that this is the "birders" part of the reserve, while families etc use the visitor centre.

From a viewing screen I saw this common gull


I stopped a little further down the road and saw this great white egret. Difficult to photograph due to reeds and sun


Not many vehicles in the car park. The bird feeding area is taped off, what is happening to the reserve.

Not many birds at the feeders below the visitor centre so I walked on to the next one. Blue tits, great tits and chaffinches would quickly fly to the feeders and then fly back into the bushes.



I then went to the kingfisher screen



I was not lucky and did not see a kingfisher but a robin was standing on top of the screen


A pleasant few hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment