Friday 20 November 2020

Nine for a kiss

 Friday is one of my "dog sitting" days, and today we went out onto Hob Moor.

Yesterday the weather was good and I took my camera with me when I  walked to the Railway Pond, and did not see many things to photograph. Today I just had my phone!

On our second walk on the moor, I heard a lots of gulls calling. I was walking in the direction that the noise was coming from when suddenly a grey heron came within 6 feet of me as two gulls were chasing it.


By the time that I had got my phone out of my pocket and selected the camera app, the birds were further away from me.


the white specks in front of the trees are the gulls chasing the heron into a ditch. Not very good photos.

Over the years I have watched grey herons battle with eels as they try to eat them. This picture was taken in Tobermory harbour.


The heron did manage to swallow the eel after about 20 minutes,

Further along on our walk today we came across magpies . I stopped and counted them, nine of them, all busy in the grass. Without binoculars I could not see what they doing. They could have been looking for worms etc as it was raining and worms may have been close to the surface, or they could have been making holes. When food is plentiful they will make holes and store food for later.



Our route home took us along the side of a ditch and this stretch of hedge.

Lots of blackbirds, one song thrush and two redwings were feeding in the area. No photos as no camera. Do I have to take my camera on future walks!

No comments:

Post a Comment