Saturday 21 November 2020

Memories of Mull: Oban

This blog has taken a lot longer to write than expected. 
I think that my first visit to Mull was in 1977. I had an MG Midget soft top at the time, and I remember that the weather was so good that I was able to have the top down all the time. This made bird watching very easy.
Oban is the starting point of the holiday.

 Lots of people know Oban for its folly. It is also a good birdwatching spot, and a good place to see black guillemots, hooded crows and various waders along the shore at low tide.

The hoodies can often be seen looking for food in the seaweed.
 
Black guillemots nest in the harbour and it is possible to get much closer to them than on the island.

One Easter there was an Iceland gull in the harbour.

This is the ferry that takes us to Mull.
It is a 45 minute "sail" from Oban to Cariagnure, on Mull. About half way we pass this lighthouse.

This island and others close by are often the nesting site for terns. On the journey across I have often seen gannets and manx shearwaters.



No comments:

Post a Comment