Sunday 14 June 2020

Wheldrake Ings

 
I have often been to Bank Island but it is over 3 years since I last visited Wheldrake and there have been a few changes. Back in the "good old days" in the 1970/1980 's I spent a lot of time at Wheldrake. I would visit several times a week. I saw my first grey phalarope at Wheldrake and in February 2016 I saw a great skua.
 
The last time I walked down the lane I saw a tawny owl.
The bridge over the River Derwent is new since my last visit.

Plenty of water in the river.


I could hear curlews calling as I made my way towards the Tower Hide. Whitethroats and willow warblers were calling but I only managed fleeting glances of them in the bushes.

New display boards.


The Tower Hide, where I remember on a winters afternoon not knowing which way to look first. There was a barn owl on my right and a short eared owl in front.
I carried on along the path towards the Pool Hide.
The wind pump that used to keep the water level high in the pool. As I walked along the path I could hear blackcap, willow warbler and chiffchaff, but they were well hidden by the vegetation.


A penstock, used to control the water level.

Another useful display board.

The Pool hide.
 
This hide is bigger than the original one. I remember back in the 70's helping to put a new roof on the old hide.


The view from inside.
Most of the birds were at the far end of the pool.

Mute swan family, mallard, gadwall, tufted duck, little grebe, little egret and common terns.
 After a while I walked to the last hide.





Plenty of reed buntings singing and I could hear sedge warblers in the reeds, but once again not many birds to be seen.
Just a mite swan and 2 mallards on the water in front of the hide.
 
I saw 2 butterflies on my walk.


 There were several flowers in the vegetation by the side of the path, I must take my flower book next time.










 This is meadow sweet. Used to sweeten mead in the gool old days. Also called courtship and marriage as om a distance it looks quite attractive.











 
 I dont suppose that this drawing near the Tower hide counts!
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment