Saturday 27 June 2020

At a wetland in the rain!

It might not sound logical to visit a wetland in the rain but there are two hides very close to the road, so I am able to park within a few yards and not get wet walking to the hides.
 I had just sat down when the rain started!
The birds were keeping away from one of the corners of the lagoon for some reason. These male pochard were very wary.


 In the other corner a black swan was preening
and a few yards away greylag goose were also sorting out their plumage.
In the other corner a grey heron and a little egret were sheltering.
Oystercatchers were looking after their two young who were walking back and forth near the waters edge.
 
A male tufted duck swam by
 black headed gulls are still on the raft.
I then drove to Crossland hide. Not many birds there. I think that a lot of them are now using the new works further along the road.
A great crested grebe with a chick.

On my last visit there were 2 chicks.
The weather seemed to have improved so I took my chance and walked all the way round.
Not many birds to be seen. A few butterflies, blown along by the stiff breeze.
 Colour along the side of the path






 I managed to get a photo of this butterfly as it landed in a sheltered spot.
A whitethroat was singing from the top of a bush.

From the Tower hide I could see an avocet having a nap
Eight black tailed godwits were feeding. Most of them were too close to the edge for me to get a pictutre without vegetation getting in the way.

I just got back to my car when it started to rain again!

No comments:

Post a Comment