Monday 29 June 2020

Green, wood and common sandpipers

The weather was very miserable at home, wind and rain for most of the morning. I kept looking at the reports on my phone and swifts are going south in incredible numbers. In the afternoon 2 wood sands were reported at Fairburn,so off I set.
When I got to the viewing screen at Lyndike a birder was already there and he very kindly soon pointed out to me where the waders were.
If the hide had been open then I would have had the opportunity to take some photos as the birds were in front of the hide, and not too far away. The green and wood sandpipers were fairly close together and eventually a common sandpiper flew in from the other end of the lagoon.
Ringed plover, redshank and lapwing were also feeding close to the hide. Pied wagtails and linnets were also feeding in front of the hide.
A pair of spoonbills were some distance away and a pair of avocets were keeping an eye on a chick.
Chris joined me at the viewing screen but we were unable to find the common sandpiper.
More ticks to bring my year list upto 161.

No comments:

Post a Comment