Friday 5 June 2020

Turtle dove at Sutton Bank

A spot of early evening birding with a visit to the visitor centre at Sutton Bank.
 


The bird I was hoping to see was a turtle dove, which had been reported near the visitor centre.
I could hear lots of willow warblers singing but no sound of purring doves.
A male yellow hammer was singing from a tree.
a female was feeding at one of the feeding stations.



a siskin was singing from the top of a tree.
I walked around the visitor centre a couple of times but no sign of a turtle dove. I was just about to go home when I noticed a jay fly onto the feeders. It did not stay long enough for a photo. Then a movement on the ground caught my eye, it was a pheasant feeding on some of the seeds that had fallen out of the feeders. Then from behindone of the supports a turtle dove appeared, ate a few seeds and then vanished. I managed a few shots, not brilliant ones.




A nice bird to be number 150 on my year list. On my way home I came across this deer.
It walked into the wood just as I took the picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment