Saturday 6 June 2020

Rainy day at Fairburn Ings

I was hoping that when "lockdown" ended that we would still be able to enjoy the good weather, this week has dashed that hope. However life as they say goes on, so off I set. RSPB Fairburn Ings, is now one of the reserves that is open.
Not many vehicles in the car park, which was a good sign.
The path towards Lin Dike hide.
one part of the hedge had been blown into the path.
Cattle were grazing in the field next to the path.

I was hoping that a cattle egret might have been with them, but no sign.

Not many birds at this end of the water.
Although the reserve is open sadly the hide is not, so I walked on a bit further.



I walked as far as the river,
I returned to my car and drove a short distance along the toad before parking.
Shelducks and great crested grebes were on the large flash.


As I returned to my car I saw this little egret.
 
A little bit further down this avocet was preening.
I walked round to the "moat".
This area is home to a large numer of cormorants, A little further on other birds are nesting.


Several "white" birds in the area, but I could not see if any of them were spoonbills.
I then went to the visitor centre. The car park is open but the centre is not. There is a one way syatem in operation. The hide in the area is also closed.
On the way home I noticed these poppies at the edge of a field. Not quite a spectacular view yet.

Lets hope for an improvement in the weather.

No comments:

Post a Comment