Tuesday 20 August 2024

Greatham Creek and Seaton Snook

 My original plan was to go away for a few days, but having seen a weather forecast for the week I decided to opt for days out. So on Monday I went north up to Greatham Creek. Whimbrel, curlew sandpiper and little stint have been reported in the area, and as I need them for my year list, that seemed a good place to start.

I arrived just before noon as the tide was starting to come in. Two other birders were already at the screen and one greeted me with " you are just in time". Brilliant, I thought, as often I arrive and birders say " you have just missed it". What is there? I asked. Nothing, was the reply, we are hoping that you can find something!


Redshank, dunlin, oystercatcher, curlew, swallow and little egret.


They left soon afterwards, which just left me and the seals.


Time to go to Seaton Snook to try to find terns and skuas.


Lots of seals and terns on the other side of the water, then a kestrel landed next to me.


Another birder walked past, telling me how quiet things are. At least there was a ship to watch



Then the rain started so I left. Reading reports on X, the terns were on South Gare and only 1 skua was seen.


No comments:

Post a Comment