Sunday 3 March 2024

Late afternoon birding in the LDV.

 Busy morning at football, so it was mid-afternoon when I arrived at North Duffield Carrs. After a short chat with Mike, who had been in the Geoff Smith hide, and was now on his way to Bubwith Bridge, looking for the American wigeon.

I walked to the viewing platform


As you can see from this photo, water levels are still high. Birds were a long distance from the hide, so I had a stroll down the path towards the Garganey Hide.


Still at least a foot of water in the hide. No sign of the linnets I saw on Thursday, but two hares were in a nearby field. I then drove down to Bubwith Bridge.


Looking towards Drax power station. Lots of wigeon, teal, pintail and a handful of shoveler, and a few whooper swans were asleep. A marsh harrier flew over and this disturbed a small flock of dunlin, ruff and redshank. No sign of the American wigeon.


No comments:

Post a Comment