Friday 8 March 2024

Aire Valley Birding

 

After completing the weekly H&S checks I went for a walk around part of St. Aidans. A cold wind, with the odd burst of sunshine. Greenfinch, goldfinch, blue tit, magpie and dunnock in the car park. No sign of a little owl in the Oddball compound.

As I walked along the path a red kite was soaring over the hillside. After a skirmish with a carrion crow the red kite settled on a fence post.


I walked along the path that leads towards the causeway and I saw a black-necked grebe on my right hand side.


A little grebe was also swimming in the same area. A group of pochard were busy looking for food.

At the next footpath junction a couple of black-necked grebes arrived.






Further along the path I saw this great crested grebe


Astley Lake was my next stop.

A shoveler was sleeping in the reeds



A smart male goldeneye was further out on the lake.


At least 3 bitterns were booming in this part of the reserve. On my way back to the car park I saw 2 grey partridge in a field on the hillside.

I then drove to Fairburn  Ings, and parked at the Lin Dike end. Lots of activity near the bird feeders.









The wind was blowing straight into the hide so I did not stay long. 3 whooper swans were on one of the flashes, along with several pochard. Further along I saw nesting spoonbills.



Lots of cormorants in the same area.


A pleasant day with 2 more year ticks.






No comments:

Post a Comment