Wednesday 6 September 2023

Whinchats at St. Aidans

 

Started the day at Fairburn with a visit to Lin Dike. A bit misty as the sun was starting to break through the clouds.

One spoonbill busily feeding about half way across the lagoon with a couple of little egrets and a grey heron in the distance. Closer to the hide were several black headed gulls and teal. 4 snipe were feeding quite close in as was a single common sandpiper.

As I left to walk back to my car a willow tit was calling and there were plenty of speckled wood butterflies.


After carrying out the weekly health and safety checks at Fairburn visitor centre, I drove to St. Aidans.




Lots of activity at the site as there are events taking place on an evening. After a cup of tea and a cheeese  and onion toastie for lunch, I had a walk towards the hillside.

Lots of dragonflies


and butterflies


I walked along the footpath and sat on the second bench. From there I could see the fence that leads up to the top of the hill. Three whinchats and at least one stonechat were flying back and forth and would land on the fence now and again. One whinchat flew a little closer.


In an elderberry bush several chiffchaffs and willow warblers were bust feeding. After an hour I left to attend a meeting.

No comments:

Post a Comment