Saturday 2 September 2023

Filey

 



I arrived at the Country Park at 9am and walked along Carr Naze and stopped just where the path decends to the Brigg. Mark Pearson turned up after a while and we had a chat. Lots of sandwich and common terns feeding in the bay and gannets were plunge diving into the sea. Sadly no sign of any skuas and I was too far away from the terns to be able to see the roseate terns that had been reported earlier.
After a couple of hours I left Mark sea watching and I walked past the Rocket Field and along the top  scrub. Lots of linnets, goldfinches and a single greenfinch.


Filey Dams was my next stop, where I had lunch. A few moorhens and lots of greylag geese and then a fox turned up.


It sat for a while but as the geese saw it and all stood up and started to face towards the fox

Perhaps the fox realised that there were too many geese, so it turned around and left.
Not a lot to be seen from the next two hides. Several dragonflies near the pond.

East Lea was my last stop.

156 lapwings






The lapwings were as usual a bit flighty and when they took to the air some of the waders either joined them in the air or flew elsewhere on the lagoon.
2 snipe



there were 5 black-tailed godwits


further away there was a bar-tailed godwit, the first one I had seen this year.


2 ruff were also busy feeding


2 common sandpipers, 1 came close to the hide


a young heron was looking for food.

A pleasant day out.


No comments:

Post a Comment