Thursday 20 July 2023

Thursday Lunchtime at Blacktoft Sands


 Time for a couple of hours birding in between jobs so I decided to go to Blacktoft. I am on duty on Sunday and the weather forecast is not good, so I thought that I would go to the reserve today.

Marshland was the hide that most people were interested in as there were 9 different waders on the lagoon.

Avocets, black tailed godwits, greenshank, curlew, lapwing, green sandpiper, ruff, redshank and spotted redshank. none of them were close enough for a picture.

I was intrigued by the posture that this grey heron had adopted!



 I left the hide after a while to make room for other visitors.

Ian and I went to Reedling Hide where we enjoyed excellent views of young marsh harriers who were hunting over the lagoon and at one point we thought that they might attempt to get one of the many tufted ducklings. We were both pleased to see that one of the swan families still had 7 young.

Townend was the last hide I visited. A great white egret was standing on the island in front of the hide.


Difficult to get a phot showing a great white and a little egret, when the great white is standing tall.





It started to rain so I left for home.

No comments:

Post a Comment