Tuesday 4 July 2023

Birding around Hartlepool


On Monday I decided to go birding in the Hartlepool area before the multitudes arrive to watch the Tall Ships race.

Hartlepool Headland was my first stop, The tide was further out than I hoped it would be, so there were not as many birds on the rocks or feeding in the rock pools. Lots of eiders, herring gulls and cormorants. The kittiwakes were busy at the lifeboat station, but not much else to see.

The tide was way out at Newburn Bridge so no birds on the shore so I went to the car park in Seaton Carew.


A few people on the beach, despite the strong winds and rain. At the bottom of the picture you can just see part of the fenced off area of the beach. This is done to protect the nesting little terns.
The terns were nesting a good way in from the closest point it is possible to access. I found taking pictures difficult due to the wind and also trying to focus on something so small and well camouflaged




ringed plover were also using the area



On my previous visits there has always been a warden on duty, but not on Monday. Perhaps they feel that the birds no longer need constant watching, there were certainly a good number of young terns. 
Too many cars down the road to North Gare to be able to stop and look for things. Lorries were in the lay byes down Zinc Road so Greatham Creek was my next stop.

No terns on the tidal pool and just lots of shelducks out on the marsh, so RSPB Saltholme was my final stop. Nothing special in front of the Phil Stead hide so Back Saltholme Pool was my first stop.


I know that avocets are the emblem bird of the RSPB, but I would like them to stop chasing birds that are not a threat to them or their young, such as plovers or godwits. When either came in range of my camera, the avocets chased them away.


This one was sporting yellow leg rings. Young avocets of various ages were feeding in the area.



Little ringed plovers were also there until the avocets chased them away.


Paddys Pool was my next and last stop.



Plenty of common terns nesting on the island along with black headed gulls and a med. gull.




As I left, birders were still looking over the Main Lake in the hope of seeing a roseate tern. It had been seen three hours before and they were still waiting!

Next planned trip to the area in September with a coach party form York RSPB Local Group.

No comments:

Post a Comment