Tuesday 24 January 2023

More local birding

 

My first visit of this year to Askham Bog. I took along some bird seed, and placed seed on the top of several posts.


and fairly soon I had blue, coal, great, marsh and willow tit coming to feed on the seed. I walked around by the pond and was able to add siskin, redwing and mistle thrush to my list.


Further round on the board walk I saw this jay feeding, I cannot say that it was recovering buried acorns. My 5th tick for the year. After 3 circuits, I left and drove home, calling in at Chapmans Pond on the way. Still some ice on the water, so only 2 mallards and a single moorhen. In a bush I saw a pair of bullfinches.

After lunch I drove to Moor Lane, Naburn, and walked along the Selby to York cycle track. Lots of redwings and fieldfares in a field where the sheep had been and in one of the trees along the track I saw 2 goldcrests, my 6th tick of the day, to take my total for the year to 94.


No comments:

Post a Comment