Saturday 21 January 2023

Birding around Hartlepool

 A foggy day in York so I decided to go to Hartlepool area bird watching. I followed a route similar to the one that Chris and I have done many times over the years.


My annual visit to Ward Jackson Park to tick off ring necked parakeet. Hartlepool Headland was my second stop. Not a lot of birds round the headland but I had better luck from the Pilot Pier.



Rather distant views of red and great northern diver, and a long tailed duck was even further away in a corner of the fish quay. 4 more ticks including eider duck. The car park at Newburn Bridge was full, so I managed a quick look over the sea wall and saw these ringed plovers, another year tick.


I then drove towards Saltholme and parked in the Greatham Creek car park. From the second view point a few seals were on the mud.


Lots of black tailed godwits


as I walked towards Seal Sands hide, a pair of red breasted mergansers were swimming up the river.


another year tick. Lots of shelducks in the distance at Seal Sands, so I walked back to the car and drove to Cowpen Bewley Country Park. The car park here was nearly full, so I was a bit worried in case there were lots of people at the bird feeders. When I arrived, I was pleased to find no one there. Lots of activity, blue, great and long tailed tits


a male bullfinch was looking very smart


a great spotted woodpecker turned up



another year tick. Time to go to RSPB Saltholme. The Phil Stead hide was empty, probably due to the fact that the water was frozen and no birds in sight, so I was able to eat my lunch before going into the visitor centre. The ladies on reception told me about a bittern and a water rail at the Wildlife Watchpoint.







The bittern was sheltering in the reeds but was not easy to take a picture of. Time to go home. I needed to wear my sunglasses on the way home as the afternoon sunshine was very bright, however when I got to Thirsk the mist started and when I reached home it was still misty. So my decision to go had proved to be a good one, my year list now stands at 88.

No comments:

Post a Comment