Wednesday 25 January 2023

East coast birding

 


After taking granddaughter shopping I went to Filey.  It was breezy and then started to rain as I walked along Carr Naze. Very few birds to be seen. A couple of meadow pipits near the pond and a couple of carrion crows looking for food. Herring gulls were flying low over the sea and a single guillemot flew out to sea, year tick 95. I walked back to the car and drove to Filey Dams.


Still a lot of ice on the lagoons


these mallard were standing on the ice, while lots of teal were sheltering on the lee side of the bund. 

The rain was now very heavy, and most birds were trying to shelter, so I left and drove to RSPB Bempton Cliffs.


I was the only person out on the clifftops in the rain. It was nice to see lots of fulmars, circling out to sea and back, it reminded me of the hours I spent watching the fulmars on Foula. (Year tick 96.)

By the time that I had walked down to the far end of the cliffs the sun had started to shine


A barn owl was hunting near Staple Newk and as I walked back towards the visitor centre the owl was slowly hunting near the centre. A pleasant end to the afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment