Monday 21 March 2022

Sunny Sunday at Blacktoft.

 Just after 11am when I arrived, and was surprised to see so few cars in the car park. The tree sparrows were making lots of noise as they sorted out the nesting boxes near the picnic area. A little stint had been reported on Saturday, so I covered reception for a while while Ian went to Marshland to see if he could find it.


A pair of mute swans on the lagoon with a few smart looking male pochard.

 Sadly he could not, but two spoonbills had just landed in front of the Marshland hide. After a chat with Ian and Stu I walked to Ousefleet with Andrew. Still a lot of water in front of the hide, but no birds at close quarters. Dunlin feeding in several small groups, but no sign of any other small waders with them.

Shelduck, shoveler, teal, mallard, gadwall and some sleeping black tailed godwits and two avocets. I walked back and went into Marshland hide. I was expecting it to be busy as people watched the spoonbills, avocets and black tailed godwits, but there were only 3 other people in the hide.


Every now and again a spoonbill would wake up have a look around and then go back to sleep. The marsh harriers were busy and kept upsetting the avocets.

After flying about they would settle down in a group before starting to feed again.



The black tailed godwits did not fly when the marsh harriers circled round over the lagoon.

Some of them seemed to be in a bad mood as they would fly towards others and start a skirmish.



Some birds were still quite plain in colour


while others were showing thir summer plumage


Lots of wigeon still on Xerox lagoon


The pair of goldeneye were still on Townend lagoon. Ken and Val were sat in the hide and they were telling me about their trip to Mull, they are there the week before me.

Lots of greylags on Singleton lagoon and marsh harriers constantly on the move. I called back into reception to wish Stu well for his holiday this week and Matthew was in the hide. I had not seen him for ages so we had a chat and then as I got to the car park Peter turned up, so time for another chat. I left the reserve later than planned and luckily got the last bottle of milk in the supermarket!

Time to sign off and pay the balance on my Mull holiday.


No comments:

Post a Comment