Thursday 24 March 2022

East Coast Birding

Granddaughter at University in Scarborough celebrates her 21st, so spending some time at the coast and sneaked a spell of birding in.

The good weather had attracted enough visitors for the overflow car park to be in use at Bempton. A little misty but visibility was good enough to be able to see the birds ok. Lots of birds flying and on the sea. I concentrated on the birds on the cliffs and soon added razorbill, puffin and kittiwake to my year list.




I then drove to Filey and went to the Country Park. I thought that parking was free until the end of this month, but you now have to pay, and as I  had no change I left and went to Filey Dams.


Plenty of birds about which was an attraction for this local cat.


No birds came near enough for  it to catch. Three moorhens were having a squable



A pair of egyptian geese were standing on the bund, my 4th tick of the day.


Carrion crows were perched on a tree


Two mute swans were displaying and mating



Tufted ducks and gadwall were close to the hide



Herring gulls were also joining in the mating game


24 oystercatchers were on the bund and then flew around making a lot of noise.


A great spooted woodpecker was feeding on one of the mature trees, my 5th and last tick of the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment