Saturday 26 February 2022

Changes at North Duffield Carrs

I have been to North Duffield Carrs 5 times in the past week and have noticed changes every day.


The water level has slowly been increasing but the number of birds has slowly decreased. Not sure if this is due to the weather conditions or if birds have left to move to their breeding grounds. Some teal have been sheltering from the wind and rain in the vegetation but pintails seem to have gone. Oystercatchers are back, another sign of spring and upto 800+ golden plover moving through the valley, presumable on their way to the moors.

On Friday there was no sign of the golden plover and only have the number of lapwings and dunlin from earlier in the week. The number of gulls increased with quite a few common gulls.


The gulls took to the air whenever the lapwings did even when there was no sign of a predator.



The number of starlings had also increased, with lots gathering near Aughton Church, but I did not see any sign of a murmuration.

Three male stonehatswere busy near the Garganey hide. I was watching them for a long time trying to work out if they were trying to find a female or just establish territory. I was unable to distinguish between the three of them, so if a pair do stay and breed near the hide, I wont be able to tell which male it is.

A single little grebe is still on the scrape in front of the Geoff Smith hide.


64 pink feet flew over heading west, another sign of the coming season.

On my way back to the car I explored the new path.


The bridge has been there for a year or two but the path beyond is new.




As I returned to my car I disturbed a small group of fieldfares and redwings who were feeding in the field.



 



No comments:

Post a Comment