Thursday 30 December 2021

Smew

 




Monthly pcr test this morning. After the lady had left we then went food shopping so it was nearly 1pm before I arrived at Wheldrake Ings. According to the latest reports on twitter, I might be able to see a smew or a dusky warbler. Either one would be my 200th bird of the year. Both birds had been seen at the far end of the footpath on the reserve, so off I set. When I reached the footbridge after the pool hide, there were still a few birders hoping to see the dusky warbler, so I decided to continue to the last hide in the hope of seeing a smew.
I joined other birders in the hide and as I looked through my binoculars I could see a male smew. It is not very often that I go to see a specific bird and it is the first bird I see. Number 200 for 2021, and a day to spare.
I sat next to Malcolm and we chatted about the good old days on the reserve. He was trying out a new lens and camera, as he was going on a cruise to Brazil and was looking for something light.
On my way back to the car I met John who was still looking for the dusky warbler. He was telling me how he has written a book and is waiting for it to be printed. I think that he said the title was "The history of birds on pub signs".

No comments:

Post a Comment