Wednesday 15 December 2021

Black grouse

 




If my plan for today had worked then instead of a photo of a black grouse there would have been a photo of a serin, but I could not find the bird. While scrolling through the sat nav to find Hartlepool Headland, I came across Langdon Beck. As that was closer than Hartlepool I decided to go. However the weather slowly deteriorated and it was misty and a strong wind when I got to Cow Green Reservoir. I then went down a road that leas to some farms and saw 4 black grouse in a field next to the road. I managed one shot before they flew off. 

I then drove along the road to St. Johns Chapel, passing the police sign saying road closed to drifting snow!


still lots of snow about. It was very misty as the road got higher and then it suddenly lifted and I saw 4 red grouse. Nothing else to report on my journey to Hartlepool.




Much better weather and it was high tide. Not many birds along the shore line, a few turnstones


Divers were in the entrance to the harbour.



Oystercatchers, turnstones and a single purple sandpiper at Newburn Bridge. The road to North Gare had curlew, wigeon and shoveler and a stonechat down Zinc Road.




From the viewing screen at Greatham Creek I could see wigeon, teal, lapwing and golden plover. A few seals were on the mudbanks. I drove home as the light was beginning to fade.

No comments:

Post a Comment