Wednesday 3 November 2021

Jack snipe at Old Moor

 Decided to go to Old Moor in the hope of finding a jack snipe. The reedbed hide was full when I first went. A gentleman let me have his seat after a while but I could only see a snipe. I let the gentleman have his seat back as his wife was unhappy that he had let me sit there!

I visited the other hides on the reserve but it was fairly quiet bird wise. There were a lot of birds to be seen from the Wath Ings hide including these lapwing and golden plover.


I returned to the reedbed hide about 1pm and Rob, one of the volunteer wardens let me have his seat. He and Gordon had had a very quick glimpse of a jack snipe before the great white egret moved closer and the jack snipe went further back into the reeds.



This was the view from the hide just after I had sat down. The great white egret was looking for food.


lots of teal, shoveler, gadwall, wigeon, tufted ducks all looking for food. In the reed bed behind the great white egret I managed to see a jack snipe bobbing up and down, and then this happened.


Apart from a few coots, all the other birds flew off, so I came home. At least I had added tick number 187 to my year list.

No comments:

Post a Comment