Tuesday 23 November 2021

Here, there and South Gare.

Sunday was spent at Scarborough.







Very windy with heavy rain showers, Not much activity on the bird front.

 Monday afternoon was good weather wise so I decided to go to Bank Island.

A bit more water than on my last visit. About 100 wigeon on the water


Black headed gulls were also present, and as time passed by more gulls flew in. 4 common gulls also flew in but no large or white winged gulls. 4 shelduck were also on the water. It was fairly quiet until a marsh harrier appeared.



There were 2 birds and between them they managed to scare all the lapwings and get 20 snipe to fly about looking for cover.

I am still trying to reach 200 birds for my list this year, so today it was a trip to Redcar to try to see velvet scoter.


The tide was just starting to come in but there were still plenty of walkers on the beach. I set up my scope on the footpath and could see, ringed plover, sanderling, oystercatcher, turnstone, cormorant and herring gull. Looking further out to sea I could see more gulls, eiders and common scoters. Scanning further left towards the wind turbines I saw a pair of velvet scoters, tick number 192 for the year. Time was up at my parking spot to I drove the short distance to South Gare.







Not a lot of bird activity, starlings on the wires

a goldfinch was having a drink of fresh water

Further out there were snow buntings. I walked along the path and stopped when I reached the rocks. After a while I saw snow buntings and they were not bothered by my presence as they got so close at one point that I could not take any more pictures.













No comments:

Post a Comment