Tuesday 9 November 2021

Here and there.

 Friday I was at Scarboro to collect my grand daughter from uni, as she was coming home for a family celebration.Low tide so not much to see in the harbour.

I drove out of town and walked along the coast towards Long Nab looking for buntings in the stubble fileds but no luck.


Back to Scalby Mills but again with a low tide not many birds close by. Gulls, wigeon, redshank, curlew and ringed plover were the highlights.



Saturday and Sunday I was on duty at Blacktoft. Saturday was very dull weather wise with nothing much to report. Only 4 marsh harriers in the evening roost. Sunday was a bit different.


I arrived just after 7:15 as it was a high tide and it was possible that the water could flood the paths. Pete and Stu sorted out the livestock and as we met on the path to Ousefleet hide this hare ran towards us, before stopping briefly and running away again.

The tide eas high enough to put water onto the area in front of Ousefleet hide and put water into the reedbed. Later that morning the feeder ditch from the Trent filled up and water began to enter the lagoons. As the depth of water increased the waders found new places to feed.



Even Larry the white tailed lapwing moved about a lot, which kept the visitors on their toes as they moved from hide to hide looking for him.


Sunday night it was back to Scarboro in the dark and the A64 is closed in places to it became a 3 hour round trip.

Today, Tuesday I headed for the coast again. Flamborough South Landing this time. A red flanked bluetail had been present for a few days so I was hoping to see it, and as it was mid week, hoping that not many people would be there.

I soon found a small group of about 15 people watching the bird. It was mobile as they say and it was difficult to get photos as it hopped from branch to branch, often in the shadow. It liked an area near one of the picnic tables and would often return there. I managed this picture as it sat on a branch above my head.


I was hoping for a better picture when it next returned to near the picnic table. However one photographer went and put his gear on the table, so the bird did not return there. I left before a row started as I could hear lots of disgruntled muttering. A life tick and number 188 for this year.

Hornsea Mere was my next stop.

There was a strong wind blowing which made the water choppy so watching birds was a bit difficult as they were a fair distance away and there was a bit of heat haze! In the distance I could see  lots of mute swans, great crested grebes, cormorants, gulls, tufted ducks, goldeneye  and a single red necked grebe. Tick number 189 for the year. Othe birders joined me, but no sign of the reported slavonian grebe.

I came back home via North Duffield. There was a lot of water on Bubwith Ings  with lots of ducks and geese on it, but to my disappointment no water on North Duffield Carrs.

Back to Scarborough tomorrow but as the high tide is at 8am I might try Filey first.

No comments:

Post a Comment