Thursday 29 October 2020

Moor and Carr

 Out and about this week. The weather has not been good enough for me to venture to the coast as I hoped.  Managed to get the dog walking in the dry, but not many birds to be seen.


Had time for a walk around Askham Bog yesterday, very very quiet on the bird front. I saw 1 great tit!








Decided to go to North Duffield Carrs today. I arrived just before lunch and walked down to the far hide. The recent rain has added to the water level, making the area more attractive for wildlife.


 A large flock of greylag geese were in a field to my left and I could only see part of the flock. When they flew down to the water for a bathe and a drink I could see 3 pink footed geese.

Further away on the reserve I could see several swans. Using my scope I could see that it was a mixture of whooper and mute swans. A marsh harrier was quartering the reserve and disturbed the lapwings and black headed gulls.


  

A dozen shelduck flew in and landed on a stretch of water. The area is about as far as my lens will reach, so apologies for the pictures.




Shortly after they landed a few swans flew the short distance from where they were feeding to preen etc on the water.









On my way back to my car I saw a small flock of fieldfare, again a poor picture.


Last year there was a murmuration  and I saw lots of starlings today. Not enough yet for a spectacular event, but fingers crossed!

No comments:

Post a Comment