Tuesday 20 October 2020

Brown Shrike

I decided to go on a "twitch" today. A brown shrike had been reported at South Kirkby. I did not attempt to go on Sunday as I thought that it could have been busy. I had not been in the area before so it was a question of following the sat nav. I saw a line of parked cars, and a chap was putting his telescope etc. in the car. I asked him if it was still there and he said it was. He advised me to wear wellingtons and take my scope, but not my camera as the bird was too far away.
I put on my wellies and set off. Under neath the railway arch and then along a track.
The track was very muddy in places so I ws glad that I was wearing wellies.Over a stream.


 Then it was under the railway again


Clambered over a ditch and walked across a field to join the other birders.

The birders were closer to the bird than I expected  and I regretted not taking my camera. The following is  my attempts at digoscoping.



The bird just sat in a bush and did not move, so after a while I left and went to RSPB Old Moor.




This area used to be a hide.



The weather was pleasant and it was nice to stroll round in the sunshine.
Several dragonflies were on the wing.


A peacock butterfly was enjoying the sunshine.




From one of the hides I was able to see a jack snipe. My list for the year is now 188, I am slowly getting closer to 200.

No comments:

Post a Comment