Tuesday 6 October 2020

It is true!

What is true I hear you ask, read on and all will be revealed.
On my way to see the hoopoe last week, a stone flew up from the road and caused a crack in my windscreen. This morning I took the car to the garage to get it replaced.So only a limited time to go birding. On my way to Staveley yesterday I noticed that the River Nidd had burst its banks, so I thought that I would visit the Lower Derwent Valley to see if the River Derwent had burst its banks.
My first stop was at Bank Island, Wheldrake. The car park was full and I could see several vehicles in the area where I expected to see water, so I left and drove to North Duffield Carrs.
On my way there I passed a line of men holding flags. They were beaters, flushing birds towards the awaiting guns. It reminded me that I live in the county with the worst record for killing birds of prey, especially where grouse shooting is held. It must stop.
No vehicles in the car park, so I walked to the Geoff Smith Hide.
This is the view I had.
As you can see the river level is high, but not high enough to flood the fields.

the farmer still has sheep in the field, so presumably he feels confident that the river will not flood soon.
Work has been done on the "scrape" in front of the hide.
It will be interesting to see which birds it attracts this winter.
A few gulls on a fence near the river.

apart from these birds it was very quiet. A few goldfinches feeding on the thistle seeds and a female reed bunting flying past was all I could see, so I decided to go to North Cave.
Lots of shovelers on the water and greylag geese and grey herons on the far bank.
The floor has been replaced in Crossland hide so I was able to go in.

Lots of lapwings, shovelers, wigeon and teal on the water.
a little egret stood out in the afternoon sunshine.
Over on my right, a yaffle or green woodpecker was feeding on the ground.


the bird was just too far for my lens to get a brilliant shot.
Time to go home and I had only just got into my car when the heavens opened and the rain poured down. So it is true that if you hear/see a green woodpecker it will rain!!






No comments:

Post a Comment