Thursday 9 July 2020

Coast and Moor

Time for my weekly "big" trip. My startting point was Flamboro Head.
Only 2 vehicles in the car park as I arrived.




I spent a while looking out to sea. Lots of gannets, guillemots and razorbills flying past but nothing out of the ordinary. A walk along the cliff top path produced the usual birds.




I then saw this egg
I think that it is the remnants of a guillemots egg. A carrion crow was feeding a young bird, so I suspected that it was the culprit until I saw it picking up seeds etc from a plant .





I walked back to the car park along the footpath near a hedge. A meadow pipit was singing from the top of the hedge.
A few butterflies were on the wing.






It was now getting busier so I left and went to Thornwick Bay. The hide was closed so all I saw was a brief glimpse of a deer.

Filey Country park was my next stop but there were long queues at the machines to buy a ticket so I drove to the dams. The hides are now open at this reserve,

Not many birds on the lagoon. This plant looks pretty.
A young robin was sunning itself on one of the boardwalks.
I then drove to Church Houses on the moors. There had been regular reports of white tailed eagles in the area. I joined a group of birders who had been there a while. They had seen the eagles but at a distance of two miles! I stayed a while and then a cyclist pulled up and said that he had been cycling on the ridge about an hour ago and had seen the birds in the next valley, so I left for home.


No comments:

Post a Comment