Tuesday 26 May 2020

Strensall Common and Brumber Hill

Time for exercise and I decided to visit an area on the outskirts of York.
The common is a pleasant place to walk and in the past I have seen adders, cuckoo, woodlark and tree pipit. There were lots of vehicles in the car park, so I was a bit nervous about how many people I might meet.
I need not have worried. I dont know where the people from the vehicles were, but I did not meet them on my walk. The military were having a day on the shooting range as the sound of gunfire filled the air. The first bird I heard was a male stonechat, singing from a tree on my left. A few carrion crows were flying around, otherwise it was quiet.
I noticed a few round leaved sundew plants.
Further along near the Forestry Commission Wood I heard and saw tree pipits. I also heard my first cuckooof the year, but I could not locate it.
After tea I decided to go for another walk and drove to just outside Appleton Roebuck, where the railway lines to Leeds and London merge. A place I have visited often in the past.
I walked down the lane and like my last visit I saw a red kite.
 
Yellowhammers were singing from the hedges, but I only got the odd glimpse of them.
This whitethroat was close to the car park.
Lots of daisies in the grass verges.

A pleasant way to spend an evening.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment