Friday 15 May 2020

Temminck's Stint at North Cave Wetlands

I decided to take my daily exercise at North Cave Wetlands. Quite a few cars in the car park when I arrived so I was a bit concerned about how many people would I meet?
I need not have worried, there were a few families out for a walk, but they  were all keeping their distance.
It was sunny at the start of the walk/
The door was open on the first hide I came to, and as there was nobody inside I went in.
Not a lot of birds about and most of the ones I could see were black headed gulls.
 From the turret hide I could see these black headed gull with their young.
An avocet was busy preening.
 
No sign of any dragonflies at the ponds.
This is the view from the next hide.
A few coots swimming about and the song of sedge warblers filled the air. I did manage to see one bird a little bit further along. They were keeping well hidden and I did wonder if they have been used to having the reserve to themselves and were not used to people walking about.
The view along the path leading back to the road. Lots of flowers growing by the side of the path.








Crosslandhide was open
Not many birds present on this part of the reserve. Several black headed gulls, a few gadwall and coots, but no sign of waders apart from a single Temminck's stint. (My 141st bird of the year) This small bird named after a Dutch naturalist, is on its way to its breeding grounds further north.
There were lots of sand martins flying about but no sign of any swifts or swallows.
Time to go home, and I decided to call in at North Duffield Carrs. I had not been there since the lockdown and was interested in what it was like.
The field next to the path was full of buttercups and clover.
The water level has now dropped and the air was full of the sound of curlew calling.
Lots of swifts flying about. Time to go home.

No comments:

Post a Comment