Wednesday 7 February 2024

Jays at Askham Bog

 

A visit to Askham Bog in between taxi and dog walking jobs. I was surprised to see the car park full when I arrived. As I got to the boardwalk I could see people working clearing away branches etc. Today was the day that a group of volunteers help to keep the reserve in good shape. I knew one of them,  Maia, and spent some time talking to her. As they were working along the first part of the boardwalk, where I usually put seed on the top of fence posts, I decided to walk on to the pond. Here a chap was busy taping twigs to the fence. He had a large lens so assumed he was trying to set up some kind of feeding station. A family arrived at the pond to have a picnic so I left and walked further along the board walk until I came to a seat. I sat down and placed some seed on the other end of the seat.


 I have often fed robins here, so I was not surprised to see the bird come and take some of the seed. I was not expecting other birds to come close.


This coal tit came to investigate and while watching it I noticed this jay had come to have a look.



A deer appeared just over the fence


and in the same area were lots of goldfinches and siskins.


I heard "mewing" and looking up saw 3 buzzards circling over the wood.


A very pleasant 90 minutes. No year ticks but 3 more for my Inner York list.

No comments:

Post a Comment