Friday 2 February 2024

Filey

 My first opportunity to get out birding since last Friday, so I decided to go to Filey , to see if I could add to my year list.


Cloudy and very windy as I got out of my car in the Country Park. I walked along Carr Naze towards the Brigg, stopping several times to scan the bay, hoping to see a velvet scoter that had been reported earlier. Sadly no birds at all in the bay. By the time I got back to my car, the sun had started to shine, so it was impossible to look out into the bay due to the sunlight.

I walked along the coastal path, looking in the rocket pole field for small birds. A skylark was the only bird I saw, so I continued towards the stubble field. I managed to see a small group of birds, snow and lapland buntings. They were feeding close to the edge of the field and I could get reasonably close to them.



Not brilliant pictures as I had to lay down to get out of the wind, and then I was too low and could not see the birds for stubble!!

Back in the Country Park, I slowly walked towards the waders which were busily feeding on the grassy area.


Starlings, woodpigeons, turnstones, redshanks



bar-tailed godwit


and a single knot.


again not brilliant pictures due to the wind nearly blowing me over. Filey Dams for lunch.


The usual mix of gulls on the bund


a male tufted duck sheltering from the wind


A little grebe



A great spotted woodpecker and a blue tit on the feeders in one of the nearby houses.

A pleasant afternoon and 3 new birds for my year list.

No comments:

Post a Comment