Wednesday 31 May 2023

Filey Dams, Nosterfield and Staveley.

 The past week has been spent helping the eldest granddaughter move back home from university and undergoing a procedure at Selby hospital.

Fairly quiet at Filey Dams, I missed the squacco heron, but that is the joy of birding. Lots of young birds about, the only birds without young were tufted ducks and gadwall. A little ringed plover was present but stayed a fair distance from the hides. This common sandpiper came a bit closer.


Today, Wednesday 31st I drove to Nosterfield. 


Lots of birds with young, avocets, black headed gulls, shelducks, mallard, canada and greylag geese. 


I then drove to the quarry part of the reserve where a couple told me about a black tern at Kiln Lake.
I walked down to the lake and saw two birds flying around. After watching them for about 30 minutes I left and drove to Staveley. The car park was quite full, but I managed to find a space.

Lots of flowers



I walked to the west hide where I was able to add 2 birds to my year list. Mandarin and black winged stilt.
The birds were too far away for a decent photograph.


An excellent selection of waders. Black tailed godwits, avocets, little ringed plover, lapwing, black winged stilt, redshanks and greenshank.  A nice end to the month.

No comments:

Post a Comment