Sunday 4 September 2022

Spotted flycatcher at Wheldrake Ings

 In between taxi jobs I managed a couple of hours at Wheldrake Ings. I parked at Bank Island


No water as per most of the country, so I slowly walked along the footpath. I heard some bird song and then I realised that I had left my binoculars in the car. So I returned to the car and then walked to Wheldrake Ings.


Lots of small birds in the bushes by the side of the path. This is a wind pump


way back in the past this used to be used to pump water from the river into the pool.




it could certainly due with a top up. I am always reminded of McCowan's Highland Toffee when I see these cows.


I walked back to the car park and on the way I stopped to look at the bushes in the sewage works. Many years ago when I belonged to a group of voluntary wardens at Wheldrake Ings, I remember locals asking us to join in with them to object to its development. They were amazed to discover that we thought that a sewage works would be good for wildlife. I then went and sat on the viewing platform and looked around. More small birds and I was delighted to see a spotted flycatcher, my 200th bird this year.


The other bird in the phot is a whitethroat, and wherever the spotted flycatcher flew to it followed. Not sure where to go to tomorrow, the weather forecast does not look good.




No comments:

Post a Comment