Thursday 15 September 2022

Here and there

 Since my last posting I have managed to get out birding 5 times. The first two occasions were at Blacktoft on the 10th and 11th.


 The high tides had the desired effect and allowed the team to increase the water levels on Marshland and Townend lagoon. The rain also helped, but it is only the river water that contains food. More waders were present and curlew sandpiper numbers increased to 8.

On the 13th I was at Filey.




Lovely bright morning for a spell of sea watching, only problem was that the birds did not know. It was very quiet, the highlight of my 2 hour session was a caspian gull. Filey Dams for lunch



Like everywhere, water levels are low and bird numbers are low too. The highlight was a hobby chasing birds. After I had left a message came through about a red backed shrike!

Wednesday, I went to Hartlepool, where I joined several other birders hoping to see warblers etc, but not much luck. The pied flycatchers and garden warblers had moved on.




 A sea watch was rewarded with good views of a bonxie chasing terns. Saltholme had lots of barnacle geese

several had neck rings on. 


Lots of planes



water vole near the entrance to the visitor centre


dragonflies at Phil Stead



Cowpen Bewlay was my last stop. Plenty of small birds about.





Today, Thursday I went to a meeting at Fairburn Ings and then had a walk around for half an hour. Lots of conversation work going on, but it did not stop birds coming to the feeders.






Flu jab and 5th covid jab over the next 2 days and then a weekend at Blacktoft.

No comments:

Post a Comment