Tuesday 23 August 2022

Up and away

 Looking after the football club for the rest of this month, so birding is restricted and I don't think that I will get another 5 ticks to take me to 200 before the end of August. Tonight there were a couple of hot air balloons taking off from the Knavesmire.








Over lunch time I was able to pay a visit to Bolton Percy station yard.


I have visited this area for over 60 years. Admired primroses in spring, seen butterflies in summer and watched birds feeding on the berries in autumn.




the berries looked ok and not showing signs of drought as other berries I have seen.


plenty of speckled wood butterflies but no sign of any others. The only birdlife was a robin and a swallow flying overhead. The reason for the lack of wildlife is the work going on to "improve" the railway.


Gone are the flowers etc that are described on the information board. I was reminded of the poem by Larking, "Going, going"

"And that will be England gone,

The shadows, the meadows, the lanes

The guildhalls, the carved choirs,

There'll be books ; it will linger on

In galleries; but all that remains 

For us will be concrete and tyres.



No comments:

Post a Comment