Wednesday 10 August 2022

Out and about.

 Visited a few local sites recently as I try to add a few birds to my year list.


I went to Blacktoft Sands and had a chat with Stuart and Daz, and added my name to the reception rota.

The team are working hard to try to maintain the water level in the lagoons and are hoping for some high tides. Lots of black-tailed godwits

My visit was in the afternoon so the bird was between me and the sun, so not a brilliant picture. It was nice to see curlews on the lagoon.

Several greenshanks on the reserve

spotted redshanks in a row


while green sandpipers had a rest near one of the islands. Juvenile bearded tits could be seen from most of the hides and water rails were also to be seen out in the open. It is now the time of year when marsh harrier activity is almost over, as this years young have moved on, and the adults can now hunt over the fields now that the harvest has begun.

The following day I decided to visit Wheldrake Ings.


A lot of activity on the pool. Several green sandpipers, at least a dozen little egrets, kingfisher, wood sandpiper, greenshank and a pleasant sighting of a wheatear.


not a brilliant picture due to the distance.

I went to Forge Valley to try to add nuthatch and willow tit to my year list.



A car parked very close to the right hand feeders and the occupants spent a lot of time getting in and out of the car, which disturbed the birds.




this young robin did look very well.


As I was in the area I decided to go to Bempton and try to see the Turkestan shrike.




 It was a long walk in the heat but well worth the effort. The bird was perched on the top of a hedge and kept moving. As it was afternoon the sun was behind the bird which made photography challenging.




I am not sure if this swallow was just flying past or was buzzing the shrike.


Young gannets and kittiwakes on the cliffs



The auks have gone and hopefully will keep free of the avian flu. It was nice to see tree sparrows using the bird bath.


Today, Wednesday, I went to Nosterfield. 



I started off at the quarry site. The water levels are low but lots of greylag geese and lapwings. I met several people who told me that there is just a puddle at the nature reserve site and no birds so I did not visit there. No outings planned for the next 3 days, so am pleased to have got my year list up to 191.

Some of the birds that I still need for my year list are, corn bunting, grey plover, brent goose, dipper and skuas, so with a few planned outings I should reach 200 with ease.

No comments:

Post a Comment