Saturday 20 August 2022

Nene Washes, Frampton Marsh and Freiston Shore.

 Taxi duty to Cambridge again and an opportunity to visit another reserve in the area, so on Friday afternoon I visited Nene Washes.




I was not sure which if any birds I might see and was pleasantly surprised to see several red kites and buzzards as well as a kestrel and a marsh harrier. Next stop was Frampton Marsh .




Lots of waders close to the hide.



Golfinches feeding on the sunflowers.


After a night in Spalding I returned to the reserve on Saturday morning and the plan was to stay until lunchtime when it would be high tide. As well as the waders on view there were lots of spoonbills.


I took this picture from the footpath that is along the top of the floodbank.

a female peregrine flew over the reserve and all the birds took to the air.


I don't think that I have seen as many spoonbills before.

When this gull landed all the waders flew off.



 As it got closer to the time for high tide more birds flew in including a wood sandpiper and three black terns. Amongst the greylag geese were 3 pink feet and feeding near them a brent goose. I decided to visit Freiston Shore on my way home.




Sadly there were very few birds on the reserve, so the high tide had not brought any birds in, but I had a pleasant walk along the floodbank.

No comments:

Post a Comment