Friday 24 June 2022

RSPB Saltholme

 A day out and I started at Hartlepool Headland. It was a little misty out at sea but I could see a reasonable distance. Lots of gannets and guillemots out on the sea, and herring gulls in a large flock feeding on something close to the surface. Several large flocks of scoters flying north. Sandwich,(tick number one) common and littel terns fishing. After about an hour I managed to see 4 manx shearwaters going south, Sexond tick of the day and number 180 on my year list. I had a walk around the Headland but was unable to add any more birds to my list.

Although it was high tide there were no birds at all at Newburn Bridge. I then drove to RSPB Saltholme and went into the Phil Stead  hide. 13 black tailed godwits, 2 avocets, 2 snipe and a little egret were busy feeding. I then walked to Saltholme Pools hide. Just before the hide there is a viewing screen from where I could see the 2 red breasted geese, my third tick of the day

A young avocet was feeding in front of the hide.


On my way back to the visitor centre I saw this sedge warbler.


Lots of common terns in front of Paddys Pool hide


I called back into Phil Stead hide. A female shoveler was looking out from the vegetation.


A young lapwing was feeding in front of the hide.


2 glossy ibis were also feeding.



What a shame that the sun was not shining to illuminate their colours



 

No comments:

Post a Comment