Wednesday 15 June 2022

East and North Yorkshire and Suffolk.

 Family taxi jobs have kept me busy and covered a few miles and I have managed to fit some birding in along the way. I managed two visits to Filey Dams.




Lots of insect life which is good for birds looking for food for their young. 

Mr mallard was having a lunchtime snooze while a moorhen was busy feeding.



this male blackbird was happily sat on the fence rail and was not going to move as I walked along the boardwalk.


the grey heron had to move when the gulls arrived.


the barn owl was out hunting mid afternoon.


I then walked around to East Lea.


a mallard family was having a rest near the hide. An oystercatcher chick moved away from the hide but the parents stayed close.


I had hoped to see some different birds to those at the Dams, but not sure if these count!


On my second visit a few days later I was sad to see that the mute swans now only had one cygnet.

The blackbird was still on the rail singing away


a dunnock was also on the rail


a few butterflies were on the wing


little grebes were as vocal as usual.

My 2 visits to Blacktoft were pleasant. Nothing new to add to my year list, but it was good to see the first of this years marsh harrier young flying. Avocet numbers have increased again and I still cannot work out if some of them are having another attempt at laying eggs. Several birds keep moving vegetation before settling down on an islnd.



one of the birds had rings on its legs.


Spoonbills are regular visitors as they commute from Fairburn Ings to Alkborough.

I was travelling to Cambridge to collect my granddaughter and decided to visit RSPB Lakenheath.

It was noon when I arrrived as my sat nav took me through 8 counties to get there!
Not a lot of bird activity due to the time of day and the heat. A pleasant couple of hours but no new birds for my year list.


No comments:

Post a Comment