Saturday 18 June 2022

Potteric Carr

 My first free day to go birding and it would be hot! Decided to stay fairly local and visit Potteric Carr. I arrived just after 9am and was surprised to find lots of vehicles in the car park.


Luckily there were not many people about on the trails and I was able to get a seat in Piper Marsh hide.

The black winged stilts were looking after their four chicks.








I left after about half an hour to allow others a chance to see the birds and walked around West Scrape and Huxter Well Marsh. By the time that I had reached the car park I had walked nearly 5 miles.


Lots of lapwings, a sure sign that summer is over, nice to see a pair of young lapwings. A blackcap was feeding its young.


 I drove home via Blacktoft Sands. Stu was busy trimming the vegetation along the path edges.


Avocet numbers had increased to 28, but it was difficult to see if any were sitting on eggs or just resting in the heat.

This dragonfly landed on the path in front of me.




No comments:

Post a Comment