Thursday 3 October 2024

Thursday afternoon at Blacktoft

 


Had to take some things to the re-cycling centre this morning, and was amazed to see how much traffic there was at 10am! The journey took longer than I anticipated, but luckily I did not have to queue at the re-cycling centre.

I was thinking of going to the coast but decided against that due to the time, so I headed for Blacktoft.

The above photo was taken from the hide at Ousefleet. On my last visit on Saturday, the lagoon was home to several hundred birds. When I arrived all I could see was 1 snipe! After a few minutes 70 teal flew in and were slowly getting closer to the hide when another birder came into the hide, slammed the door shut, banged the window as he opened it and off went the teal. As a consolation prize a kingfisher flew past the hide.

On my way to Marshland hide I saw this dragonfly and butterfly.



Lots more teal and shovelers on Marshland lagoon plus several gadwall.


not long after I took the photo, he started to mate!

Reedling had a similar mix of ducks plus at least 20 snipe in the vegetation at the edge of the lagoon.


5 ruff were with the ducks on one of the islands



This was the view from 1st hide.


There may not be much activity on the lagoon but I do enjoy the view over the reserve, and marsh harriers seem to fly close to the hide.


I saw 2 different males as well as a female. Perhaps numbers are starting to increase now that autumn is here.

No comments:

Post a Comment