Saturday 23 December 2023

Sunny Saturday afternoon at Blacktoft.

 



A very early start today. butchers just after 6am and then on to 2 supermarkets and back home just after 9am. I then decided to go to Blacktoft and arrived just before 11am. Ian's car was one of the three vehicles in the car park.

I called in at reception and said hello to Rachel and then walked to  Marshland hide. 4 mallard and 4 lapwings were the only birds I could see. I rang Ian who was in Reedling hide so I walked to join him.


As you can see from this picture there were more birds here. They were sheltering from the strong wind. 


Wigeon, mallard, gadwall, little grebe and snipe were all close to waters edge. After a while we decided to walk to Ousefleet.

One of the six konic ponies walked in front of the hide, disturbing some snipe as he went. He crossed the lagoon and joined the others in the reed bed. I counted 280 teal and 11 shelduck on the lagoon and later 21 lapwing flew in. This female stonechat was having a battle with a robin.

We walked back to reception, and Stu had returned from the office, so I wished him a merry Xmas before we set of for Singleton hide.
The only bird on the lagoon was a great white egret.

I always seem to struggle to get a decent picture of these birds, I think that it is possibly because they are so white and I need to change settings.
Marsh harriers were active.

I left about 1430 and I an rang me later to tell me that an otter turned up about 1510.

No comments:

Post a Comment