Monday 2 May 2022

Sunday afternoon at Blacktoft

 I was unable to spend all yesterday at Blacktoft so it was 1pm when I arrived to help Stu. The road from Goole to the reserve is closed during  week days from 9am till 4pm for road repairs, but the road closed signs remain up at weekends. This may have deterred a few visitors. 

As I walked into the visitor centre I saw a bittern flying from Xerox lagoon and land near Townend lagoon and there were 6 bearded tits in the reedbed between the visitor centre and Xerox hide.

Lots of birdsong for visitors to listen to. Whitethroat, blackcap, willow warbler, chiffchaff, sedge warbler and cetti's warbler. Two cuckoos were also on site and could be heard calling.


I took the above picture at 1830 and there were signs of activity in the barn owl box. A grey heron was close to the hide


On my way home I saw these two cranes in a field near Swinefleet, just a short flight from Thorne Moors for them.



No comments:

Post a Comment