Wednesday 4 May 2022

Filey

 Before I head off to Mull tomorrow, I had agreed to take my grand daughter shopping, As usual I try to plan a bit of birding in with the trip to the coast, so todays plan was to go Filey Dams. Weather not too brilliant, traffic reasonable until I reached the Malton bypass. It was closed!! A long slow crawl through Malton and just to add to the mix a lorry was parked on one side of the road loading scaffolding posts, so we had to leave a gap in our line of traffic to allow lorries to pass. I should have been at the Dams about 1020, got there at 1110.

The car park was full so I drove to East Lea instead. I heard a sedge warbler near a seat, but could not see it. From the hide I could see several families of greylag geese and one family of mallard, with just 3 ducklings. A herring gull was sat on a nest on the island and 2 teal were also on the island, having a sleep.

There were 3 oystercatchers and I could not work out if they were a pair plus 1 or 3 singletons. A pair of swallows swooped low over the water hunting for insects.


Back to the Dams to eat lunch. Chatted to the member of YWT staff who works out the office in York, which is not far away from my house. Lots of herring gulls, 3 lesser black backs, a shelduck who chased everything away and carrion crows looking for eggs and chicks. When the gulls had had a wash they would stand on the edge of the bund and have a preen. As I scanned the row of them I saw a wader, it was a bar tailed godwit, tick number 150 for the year!

Time to go to Scarborough, luckily I was heading north along the coast road as the police had closed the south bound section!!

After shopping we usually go for something to eat and have a walk around the harbour.

Not today there was a heavy downpour of rain. 
On my travels tomorrow.


No comments:

Post a Comment