Thursday 5 August 2021

Here and there

 Birding at local places due to time constraints. North Duffield Carrs was my first choice on Tuesday but on arrival I discovered that the walkway to the hides had been removed and a new one was to installed. The walkway had developed a "list" over the years, so I am glad that it is going to be replaced. I was told that it will take about 3 days to put the new walkway in place. So I decided to carry on to North Cave Wetlands.




South hide was my first stop. 2 cyclists were in the hide. They had taken their bikes into the hide with them and one of the cyclists was fast asleep. A lady with 3 very noisy children was in the other part of the hide. Luckily for me both the cyclists and the family left, so I was able to enjoy the peace and quiet. Several mute swans and a black swan were busy feeding.

Several young tufted ducks were dashing about before diving for food.


A pair of common terns were also looking for food


I then went to Crossland hide from where I could see lots of greylag geese. An adult marsh harrier was mobbed by carrion crows as it flew across the water. One or two sand martins about but nos sign of swifts, swallows or house martins.

I went to Nosterfield on Wednesday and met Chris. He had at last managed to see the osprey.

Lots of butterflies and dragonflies about.




 this caterpillar was crossing the path


This was a view from the North screen


looking in another direction I could see at least 100 curlew.


I saw a single swallow, which made me wonder if all of the hirundine have left already?

There were still young lapwing, mallard and shelduck about. The rain started so I left for home.

No comments:

Post a Comment